In the early 1930s, a Spanish Jesuit oversaw the construction of a concrete bell tower immediately adjacent to the Nuestra Señora del Carmen Church in Garapan. The bell tower, which exhibits German Romanesque architectural features, replaced a wooden frame bell tower that had stood on the same site. The Nuestra Señora del Carmen Church, a large masonry building completed in 1893, served as the focal point of local religious life in Garapan from Spanish times until it was destroyed during the World War II battle for Saipan. The bell tower is the sole surviving architectural remnant from the pre-war church. In the late 1970s, the Kristo Rai Catholic Church was constructed on the site of the former pre-war church. The bell tower is no longer in use. It serves as a local landmark attesting to the island’s Catholic tradition.